I strongly believe that The Philippines is the most underrated country in South East Asia.
It’s true, that when most people think of taking trips to South East Asia, they usually jump at Thailand, or Vietnam, or Bali, before considering the Philippines. This is probably because The Philippines hasn’t become commercialized or mainstream. It’s often overlooked.
Well, I’m here to tell you that this country is absolutely incredible. The smiling faces, postcard-perfect beaches and relaxing lifestyle is hard to beat anywhere in the world.
I have taken three trips to the Philippines over the last few years, and spent a total of 6 weeks in the country. I’ve explored nine islands, as well as spent time in both major cities of Manila and Cebu. I’m absolutely in love with everything about this tropical paradise land called the Philippines.
The country’s slogan is, “It’s more fun in the Philippines” (there is even a website dedicated to it).
In the same vibe, I decided to share with you 50 Reasons Why Life is Better in the Philippines.”
1. The country is made up of 7,107 islands
2. It’s tropical with crystal clear ocean water
3. The people are the friendliest I’ve ever met
4. It’s extremely affordable
5. You can drink fresh coconut juice
6. You can enjoy some of the best scuba diving in the world
7. You can spend time on Palawan – the #1 ranked best island in the world
8. You can visit pure white sand beaches in Boracay – Check out the best beaches on Boracay Compass
9. You can hike volcanoes in Davao
10. You can ride in a Jeepney (awesome decorated taxis)
11. You can enjoy my favorite local beer called Red Horse (it’s 8%!)
12. You can drink fresh fruit juice water
13. You can visit the chocolate hills of Bohol
14. You can party hard in Manila
15. You can scuba dive through sunken Japanese ship wrecks from WWII
16. You can eat amazing seafood curries
17. You will be always be treated with upmost respect
18. You can get a one-hour body massage for $5USD
19. You don’t have to worry about a language barrier, because everyone speaks fluent English
20. The water temperature is warm and perfect
21. You can find private exclusive beaches almost everywhere
22. You can rent a motorbike and explore for less than $5USD per day
23. You can learn about the history from the Spanish Colonization
24. You can enjoy the annual Sinualog festival in Cebu
25. You can capture breathtaking sunset photos, like this one I took on Malcapuya Island
26. You can eat “Lechon” – or suckling roasted pig (the national dish)
27. You can visit the Puerto Princesa Underground river in Palawan (a New 7 Wonder of the World)
28. You will always be greeted with a “Hello Sir” or “Hello Maam“
29. You can see Magellan’s cross that he planted in Cebu in 1521
30. You can go island hopping in a bamboo boat (which are used everywhere)
31. You can drink rum that’s cheaper than juice
32. You can try eating with you hands (like the locals do)
33. You can visit UNESCO Heritage Sites like the Rice Terraces of Cordilleras
34. You can find cheap hostels for less than $5USD per night
35. You can visit the Big Lagoon in El Nido
36. You can enjoy golden mangos on Cebu island
37. You can go cliff jumping anywhere and everywhere
38. You will always be greeted with a smile 😀
39. You can try exotic foods like balut – boiled fertilized duck egg
40. You can visit incredible waterfalls like this one called Tumalog Falls in Cebu
41. You can see the Mayon Volacno in Luzon
42. You can take a dip in Barracuda lake in Coron
43. You can find cheap flights to Manila from Singapore, Bangkok, Taipei, Seoul and Tokyo
44. You can shop at the SM Mall in Pasa – the 4th biggest mall in the world
45. You can swim with whale sharks in Cebu
46. You can enjoy the amazing year round weather, which averages 22.6 degrees Celsius (75 F)
47. You can go zip lining through the jungle
48. You can eat some Lumpia (fried egg rolls)
49. You can discover Filipino music, which may catch you by surprise
50. You can stay there forever because it’s just that incredible!
I hope you get the chance to visit this amazing country. I promise you that it will go above and beyond your expectations!
For more inspiration on the Philippines, check out:
– 20 Photos of the Philippines that will make you pack your bags and go – A great post by Sabrina from “Just One Way Ticket”
– The Next Escape – an awesome travel blog with lots of useful advice about the Philippines
And lastly, check out my other blog posts on the Philippines!